Fungifest is fast approaching! This is a big event which we put on every 2-3 years,inviting the public to a grand celebration of all things fungal. We hope to turn people on to the many ways that fungi enhance our lives, and the planet, and to dispel some of the enduring and dangerous myths about mushrooms.
This year we are going back to Warren Wilson College (WWC), after an 2-year absence. There’ll be a grand mushroom display, educational displays, classes, walks, vendors and more. You can purchaae tickets on Eventbrite.Purchase Tickets
When: Saturday, August 31. 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Where: Warren Wilson College, Swannanoa, NC.
Entrance fees: Adults $10, Students & AMC Members $5, Children 5 & under and WWC students FREE.
Classes: $20 for the general public, $15 for AMC members.
Mushroom walks: $15 for the general public, $10 for AMC Members.
More details regarding classes and mushroom walks can be seen when purchasing tickets on Eventbrite.
- 9:30 am
- General admission starts
- Class: “How Mushroom Hunting Can Save the World" - Alan Muskat
- Mushroom Walk #1 - Mike Hopping
- Class: "Medicinal Polypore Mushrooms" - Marc Williams from Botany Everyday
- Mushroom Walk #2 - Jonathan Horton
- Class: “Western North Carolina Local Mushrooms” - Rytas Vilgalys
- Class: "Unraveling the potential health promoting properties of fungi at the University of Tennessee" - John Munafo
- Class: (Tentative)Topic TBD - Coleman McCleneghan
- Class: “Dozen Easy to ID mushrooms” - Frank Hyman
- Class: “Mushrooming 101” - Mike Hopping
From Asheville; take I-40 E to exit 55. Turn left then right on US 70. After 1.7 miles turn left on Warren Wilson Rd (look for Fungifest sign) and drive another 1.8 miles, past the South and North Entrance, and turn left into the Kittredge parking area. If this is full, there will be signs to an overflow parking area. Pedestrian signs will guide you to Fungifest in the Bryson Building.